Saint Thomas Aquinas

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Christ the King and its Affiliates Say Farewell To Father James Fryar, FSSP


The last few weeks at Christ the King have been hectic. Unexpectedly, Father James Fryar, FSSP announced a few weeks ago that he was being transferred to Our Lady of Fatima in Pequannock, NJ. This came as a shock to everyone at the chapel and those at Ocala, Ft. Meyers and Naples, FL. Father Fryar came to Florida July of 2007, celebrating the Latin Mass at Saint Martha's parish in downtown Sarasota. He immediately infused new life into the Latin Mass community, making a great impact teaching us about the Latin Mass and spending time getting to know all of us. In short time he connected with Bishop Frank Dewane and soon renovated a Protestant church and established the chapel of Christ the King! It has been 4 1/2 years now since Christ the King first celebrated its first Latin Mass.

I quickly took to Father Fryar when I first met him outside of Saint Martha's, and I must say that I never stopped learning from him the entire six years I have known him. I am blessed to have been able to get to know him, and I am a better man for it. The first Christmas he was in Florida I had the privilege of driving him up and down the West coast of Florida taking him to say Mass from Sarasota, to Ocala, to Naples and then to Sarasota again! I was blessed to not only to have him as a spiritual father, but as a great friend. Rarely did I ever see Father Fryar without a smile on his face, even in the midst of challenging circumstances. There are many things I can say about Father James Fryar, and this would be a very long article if I were to write about them all here. There are only two which I will mention. First, he was always about doing God's work, helping everyone he could, everywhere he could. At the drop of a hat he would take a phone call from someone who asked for his presence, and off he would go, no questions asked. It did not matter where it was, two or three hours away, it was no issue for him. Secondly, he was always about giving the Sacraments and saying the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The miles he put on his car, or cars..to go say Mass and bring the Sacraments to his flock is astronomical. He is the hardest working priest I have ever known, and most charitable. Sorry if this article reads like a eulogy. He is still alive, and did not die on I75! (Thats an inside joke) I will now close with a thank you.

We at Christ the King cannot thank Father Fryar enough for all he has given us. He is truly a Father who humbly serves all of those whom he meets. He built a wonderful community at Christ the King, and we are all extremely sad to see him go. I said goodbye to Father Fryar last Sunday in Ocala, Florida. I took pictures of his last two Sunday Masses at Christ the King, as well as his last Sunday Mass in Ocala. I have posted some of the pictures here. I pray that all of the faithful in Pequannock, NJ will appreciate what a fine priest they are getting! All of us at Christ the King and its affiliates will miss you Father, and we will not forget the many things you have done for us, most especially for bringing us Christ Himself! May God bless and keep you always!

8:30AM Mass Christ the King August 18th, 2013



The 10:30 Mass August 18th, 2013


Mass at Queen of Peace, Ocala, Fl 6PM


3 comments:

Scott said...

It's sad to see Fr. Fryar go, even by his example alone he has been a great help. He will do well at Pequannock.

I know Fr. Bartholomew is now in Sarasota, is it just he and Fr. Remski?

Grego said...

Fr. Fryar just gave mass at Holy Innocents in NYC. He gave one of the best sermons I've ever heard. Consider yourselves lucky to have had such an enlightened priest.

Rachel said...

I'm so happy to read this because we in the Los Angeles area just got word that our wish is at long last being granted and we're going to have an FSSP parish here in our diocese! And Fr. Fryar is the priest coming next month to get things started. Thanks be to God. :)