Saint Thomas Aquinas

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Noise of the Internet



It has been quite awhile since I have posted on this blog. I never intended to go so long without a post. I moved into my new home at the end of July and I chose not to have high speed internet connected when I moved. It turns out that this is one of the best things that has happened to me in recent years. I know it probably sounds strange that I have used the word "noise" to describe the internet, but after not having it for awhile, it seems to be a good description. There have been several benefits to not spending hours surfing around the internet. For starters I spend much more time praying than I ever have. Instead of snooping around the internet to see what everyone is saying or doing, I am able to focus on my own spiritual life, which as it turns out, needs a ton of work! Spending more time in prayer is essential to living an authentic Christian life. Someone once said, "If you pray a great deal you have a great chance of receiving eternal salvation, if you pray a little you have little chance, and if you pray not, you have no chance." Spending more time praying has allowed me to truly reflect on how I live, or do not live the spiritual life. As a result God has shown me where the problems are. By avoiding hours snooping, reading the news, watching YouTube, or shopping on the Net, I have received an immense blessing from God.

The second great benefit is that I now read much more than I used to. I have been engaged in several books on the Desert Fathers, and have been trying to implement many of their time tested strategies to come closer to God. As a result, I seem to now care little of what goes on in the crazy world of heretics, charlatans and apostates that seem to lurk around every bend of the internet. The Mark Shea's of the world are now of little concern to me. I find myself more at peace, although it has been a bit of a rough ride at the house! One project has turned into many, many projects, and there have been a ton of things wrong in the house that I did not know about. It seems that me and the house have a ton in common! Between the troubles with the house, and an intense hard look at my spiritual life, I have certainly been tested. And that has been a good thing. 

The third benefit of not having the high speed internet at my home is that I sleep more! I used to spend hours looking things up late at night, not getting to bed until all hours. Now after I pray and read a bit, when I am tired I turn out the lights and go to bed. What a revelation! I have found other ways of using the internet when I need it. I go to a coffee shop or a cafe for breakfast and I use the internet to download spiritual talks or to look things up briefly. Aside from that, I am able to check my email through my work computer. So all in all, getting rid of the high speed internet has been a great blessing from God! I still intend to post here every so often, when I have something useful to say. Otherwise I am content to spend more time reading and in prayer. May God bless and keep you!


2 comments:

Steve "scotju" Dalton said...

Well Matt, it's great to hear from you again! While I understand your need for the other stuff, I still think you need to have the net to keep track of whats going on in the Church. Like the latest dust up between Mark Shea and Fr. Peter West. It sounds to me like you're cutting yourself off from the rest of the world.

KnotWilbur said...

Hi Matt,

I am glad to see that your change has been a positive one. To me it is reminiscent of mine having removed television from my life a few years ago. I look forward to further updates, and pray all continues on the good path.