Saint Thomas Aquinas

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Forgotten Papal Encyclicals Series

The Forgotten Papal Encyclicals Series



    When was the last time you have heard a papal encyclical mentioned in your parish that was penned before the reign of Pope Paul VI? I must say that aside from the Latin Mass parish I now attend, I cannot remember any writing referenced, written by a pope before him. In fact, most often we only hear of Pope John Paul II, and little is mentioned of the great popes who came before him. The atmosphere in most Catholic parishes is that the Church fell out of the sky during the sixties. What happened to all of the popes before that time? Are their writings relevant to us today? Are their memories doomed to be forever forgotten with the dawn of the ‘Age of Aquarius?’ To stir up an affection for our beloved popes of time past, and to benefit from their wisdom, I want to start a new series on my blog which goes through many of the great encyclicals of the popes who have been long forgotten. I want to focus on the papacy between Pope Gregory XVI and Pope Pius XII. This is a range of encyclicals spanning a crucial time in the history of the Church, 1831-1958. That being said, I think they have much to tell us about the state of the Church today, and what can be done to correct many of the problems the Church is facing right now in our time.

I am calling this series, ‘The Forgotten Papal Encyclicals Series.’ I will post an entire encyclical up in sections and comment below each section giving my thoughts on that portion of the encyclical. Some of the encyclicals are long so it will take several posts to cover some of them. I hope that this will be a good way for Catholics to familiarize themselves with these long dismissed documents. Of course I welcome all comments, the more the better. Hopefully we can all learn from these documents. But try and keep the comments related to the subject matter please. I will begin the series with the encyclical by Blessed Pope Pius IX titled, ‘Quanto Conficiamur Moerore’ or in English, ‘On Promotion of False Doctrines.’ This encyclical is very relevant for Catholics today and it cuts to the heart of many problems the Church faces right now. I hope to have a volunteer editor on board for this project to help clean up my horrible grammar and fill in my left out words, etc. Stay tuned for the first part of this series.


2 comments:

Alan Aversa said...

Here's a good list to choose from.

Steve "scotju" Dalton said...

This is great Matt! I need to brush up on these things, so this will be a great help.