Saint Thomas Aquinas

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The James White Double Standard


In my last post I attempted to prove a point by writing a sarcastic, facetious piece on James White and his pal who goes by the name of Turretin Fan. Alex and I discussed it before I put it up, and we were both curious as to how White and Co. would react. Well we got our answer on James White's radio show The Dividing Line. (Listen to about the first 10 min or so) I think the post was a great success because it illustrated one very important point. White and Co. will do anything to discredit the Catholic Church. If you follow the writings of any one of these Calvinist apologists you will quickly realize that they hold to a strict double standard in their apologetic methodology.

Double Standard #1.
( I can make false comparisons about Catholics, but don't you dare do it with Protestants.)

In my piece I made two sarcastic comparisons to see how these two would react. The first thing that I did was to compare Robert Price, a gentleman who attends some sort of an Episcopal church, who does not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, which is a fundamental bedrock teaching in Protestantism, to Dr. White himself who is a self professed Calvinist who obviously believes in the inerrancy of Scripture. The reason I did this was to dish out the same type of comparisons that White and Co. (By Co. I include Turretin fan, James Swan, Steve Hays, etc) use on a daily basis. They take a "Catholic theologian" who rejects core teachings of the Catholic faith, and they pit them against the official teaching proclaimed by the Catholic Magisterium, acting as if they are both the same in relation to being a true faithful Catholic. This has happened numerous times on all of their websites. They use this tactic to proclaim that Rome is not united in its belief on such and such a doctrine. (Women's ordination, abortion, contraception, etc) Yet. according to official Catholic teaching, we know that if a Catholic publicly dissents from any of these core teachings that they are no longer a "Catholic" as far a faith and morals apply. This however does not stop White and Co. from making these false comparisons, as if private individuals trump the official Catholic teaching, or actually divide official Catholic teaching. Yet, if I turn around and make a similar false comparison to two guys who go to two different Protestant churches, yet one denies a core belief of Protestantism, White gets on his high horse and looks down upon me and scolds me for doing so. This is the James White double standard #1. He can make false comparisons any time he wants to try and prove that the Catholic Church is full of divisions concerning her doctrine, yet it is obvious that White cannot stand the taste of his own medicine when I did the very same thing.

Double Standard #2
(I can insult Catholics all I want, but don't you dare poke fun at my friends like Turretin Fan!)

The next double standard of White and Co. is that White has free reign to insult and mock Catholics on his radio show or blog, yet when I poked a little fun at his buddy Turretin Fan, he flew off the handle. Let me explain. On numerous radio shows James White has mocked many Catholic apologists. The first name that comes to mind is Steve Ray. It is very clear that White cannot stand Ray. White has publicly called him a liar, he has mocked him with Indiana Jones music on his radio shows, while sitting back in his chair laughing and mocking Ray, making fun of him. All of that is perfectly OK to do you see, because it is done all for the destruction of the Catholic Church. Anytime White can get in a cheap shot against Catholics or the Catholic Church, he does so. We all remember the cheap shot he took on Catholics in relation to the Nazis in the death camps right? When I called him on his cheap shot (Here and here) he just sidestepped the issue and drew me into another debate on a completely different subject. He in fact never justified his little comment where he told everyone that Catholics made up a large portion of SS guards in the German prison camps, which as we know is totally untenable to claim. Protestants made up the majority of Christians in Germany at the time. Of course his buddy, the masked crusader Turretin Fan came running to back his comments like he usually does. So for White, it is perfectly Ok to mock Catholic apologists on his radio show and attack their character, yet I make a little fun of Turretin Fan and White gets all upset telling me he does not appreciate my humor. Well how about this James, I do not appreciate you mocking Catholic apologists on your videos. I do not appreciate you making absurd statements in an effort to discredit the Catholic Church. I do not appreciate you and your buddies making false comparisons in an effort to make it seem as if the Catholic Church is divided in its core doctrine and beliefs.

Dr. White, you had the audacity to demand an apology from me on your radio show. Well Dr. White, you have some serious apologizing to do of your own for insulting Catholics on your radio show and your blog, for making false statements about the Catholic Church, and making false comparisons in your attempts to discredit the Catholic Church. My post was done to prove a point and I do not feel I owe you any apology. This demonstration has clearly proven that you and your buddies have high double standards that you are going to have to give up in order to be taken seriously in the realm of addressing Catholic apologists.

6 comments:

Alexander said...

Double standard #3: When Catholics discuss their conversion story, it is a sick way of evangelizing. When Protestants discuss their conversion story, they are merely giving their personal testimony.

James Swan knows all about this.

http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=3877

http://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/2010/04/introducing-myself-john-bugay.html

(Warning alert: Slobbering love-affair in the back and forth comments section)

Alexander said...

Isn't it also amusing that right before he cided you on calling Turretinfan his side monkey he went ahead and attacked Steve Ray by attributing the argument to him as well?

Matthew Bellisario said...

Yes, its like the pot calling the kettle black no? "Hey, you can't insult me you moron!" "Hey, Steve Ray is liar, but don't you pick on my little bellhop Turretin Fan!" "Hey Hans Kung does not believe in the historical papacy or papal infallibility, so your Church is divided, but don't you dare compare me to a liberal Protestant who does not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture!" And the list goes on and on and on. When you have your own radio show I guess you can do whatever you want.

Ben M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Bellisario said...

Thanks for those resources Ben. That book 'Luther and Lutherdom' looks like an interesting read!

Ben M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.