Saint Thomas Aquinas

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Florida Debate: James White vs Robert Price

I am hoping to be able to attend the debate between James White and Robert Price in a couple of weeks. I always enjoy debates, and I think this one may be interesting. It involves James White, the "Reformed" Calvinist against his "Protestant" Episcopal brother over the inerrancy of the Scriptures. This is quite interesting because you have two scholars who both claim to be of the "Protestant" pedigree, and they are fighting over whether God's Written Word is really inerrant. Of course we know that Modernism has left no religious group untouched in this day and age. There are "Catholic" scholars who refuse to believe what the Catholic Church teaches officially about the inerrancy of the Scriptures as well. It will be interesting to see how White handles the historical claims that Price will surely bring forth to substantiate his claim that the Bible is full of contradictions and errors. The debate is in my neck of the woods, about an hour or so away up near Clearwater, FL. If you are in the area, it may be fun to check out. (Visit link here) I wonder if Turretin Fan will be in town for the debate? Maybe we can get a glimpse of the side-monkey carrying Dr. White's luggage in tow. Look for the guy who will be running for Dr. White's refreshments as needed. We may be able to get one of those grainy photos like that of the Lock Ness Monster, and then find out the identity of the mysterious Mr. Fan! I am just kidding! I just get a chuckle out of this guy Turretin Fan. Wait, there he is!

6 comments:

scotju said...

Das ist Turrentinfan!? I hope they make him wash his hands before he serves the drinks! LOL!

Alexander said...

Apparently James White took your comments here seriously enough to talk about them during the beginning of the Dividing Line. I can’t decide which is funnier, you prodding these knuckleheads to comment on your comparison of White with Price as Protestants brethren, or James White actually taking the time to mention it. HA! No, they’re both funny. When we were talking about you going ahead and making the comparison, I figured that perhaps one of the lightweights like Rhology would actually take issue with it. I never imagined that the alpha and omega himself would address it. Kudos to you my friend!

By the way, he will be expecting an apology from you for your comment about Turretinfan being his side monkey. He is upset because of your disrespect in not recognizing that James White prefers to be the monkey carrying Turretinfan’s luggage. Perhaps you can find a picture of a chimp wearing a kilt and carrying a suit case?

White also mentions that the Pope has made modernists a part of his inner circle, but of course he doesn’t mention who.

I wonder if White will be wearing one of those caps he used to wear…

http://catholicchampion.blogspot.com/2008/08/james-whites-hats-out-of-control.html


James White, I think I will also attend, and I will willingly accept your apology for blaspheming the very church Christ established. I think as a matter of principle, your heresy is objectively more offensive than any comedic slight against you and Turretinfan.

Matthew Bellisario said...

This is great! Now White gets a bit of his own medicine. White, Fan and Co. always love to quote "Catholic" theologians who deny the Catholic Church's teaching, and they present them as if Rome is divided! Yet, when I use the same tactics in a facetious manner and they get all bent out of shape. What a joke!

scotju said...

Hey Matt, I just thought of something. Why not try to get Bob Price to drop out of the debate, and put you and a different topic, say like saved by faith alone or not in it's place? Then Bp White would really have a challenge on his hands!

Matthew Bellisario said...

Well, as much fun as that would be, I do not have a lot of experience in formal public debate. I really enjoy debating with people and we do it quite a bit on an amateur level among many of us at our parish. It is a skill that one has to work on for quite awhile in order to be effective. White has quite a bit of experience in live debates, and the fact is, truth does not always win out in a debate. Just look at Fr. Stravinskas in his debate with White on Purgatory. It looked like Father was in a pressure cooker for most of the debate. Although the reality is that purgatory exists, in my opinion White won the actual debate. Perhaps as I gain experience in public debate I will be able to engage in such events. Thanks for stopping by again.

Alexander said...

Steve Camp, that guy who looks kinda like Elton John is going to be there.

Didn't he get divorced and remarried? I guess if your wife leaves you, then you have free range to become one with another...at least this is the Protestant conception.